St. Sophia Square

In 1036 Yaroslav the Wise defeated the Pechenegs on the site of St. Sophia Square. How the square was formed on the "field outside" after the construction of the St. Sophia Cathedral (1036) and since then known as Starokievskaya Square.
Around 1840, an area was arranged on the site of the former courtyard.
The monument to Bogdan Khmelnitsky was officially opened on July 11 (23), 1888, as part of the celebration of the 900th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus.