Michael's Golden-Domed Monastery - belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Kyiv Patriarchate.
According to the opinion of some historians, Kyiv prince Izyaslav Yaroslavich, whose Christian name was Dimitri, built a monastery of St. Demetrius and the church in the Upper Kiev near the Cathedral of St. Sophia in the second half of the 1050s.
After half a century his son Svyatopolk II Izyaslavich built a monastic church in 1108-1113 (it was laid on July 11, 1108, the founder was buried here), dedicating it to his patron Archangel Michael. It is possible that one of the reasons that led Prince Svyatopolk to build a church was his recent victory over Polovtsy, since Archangel Michael was the patron of warriors.
During the Mongol invasion in the 1240s, the monastery suffered considerable losses. The Mongols injured the cathedral and removed its golden baths. In 1496 the monastery was restored and renamed from the monastery of St. Demetrius on the monastery of St. Mikhail, according to the name of the church, built by Svyatopolk. After numerous redevelopments and extensions during the XVI century. The monastery became one of the largest and richest monasteries in Ukraine.
In 1934-1936, the Mikhailovsky Golden-Domed Cathedral, the bell tower and some of the other constructions of the monastery were demolished in connection with the project for the creation of a government center on this site. The latter planned to make a copy of the main building of the Central Committee of the CPU - now the building of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine. The only Ukrainian scholar who refused to sign an act on the demolition of the Mikhailovsky Golden-Domed Monastery - Nikolai Makarenko, who was soon repressed for this.
After the independence of Ukraine, it was decided to rebuild the Cathedral.
In January 2004, the Russian Ministry of Culture passed a decision to transfer Ukraine from the Hermitage of the last seven frescoes of the Kiev Mikhailovsky Golden-Domed Cathedral, found in Russia, in autumn 2004, the frescoes were completed.
The first was the Ukrainian Baroque bell tower in its original form. The Cathedral was opened on the Day of Kiev in 1998