The office of the State Commercial Bank in Kiev was founded in 1839. Subsequently, for it needs was bought a large two-story building in the Empire style on Institutskaya Street, belonging to the Kiev nobility.
It was a very refined two-story building with a spectacular eight-column portico and two protrusions on the sides of the facade. However, year after year, financial operations of the bank grew and it became increasingly clear that the old building can no longer meet the needs of the State Bank office.
During the Soviet rule in the 33rd year in connection with the future transfer of the capital of Ukraine from Kharkiv to Kiev, the building of the State Bank office stopped meeting the increased needs of the city. Therefore, it was decided to build two more floors.
For its high artistic qualities, this house is one of the best among the buildings of Kiev XX century.