Town of Chernobyl

The town of Chernobyl was an administrative center of the Chernobyl region before and during the Chernobyl accident. The inhabitants of Chernobyl were evacuated as a result of the Chernobyl accident in 1986.
The first mention of Chernobyl dates back to 1193.
In the second half of the 18th century, Chernobyl became one of the main center of Hasidism. Chornobyl Hasidic dynasty was founded by the rabbi Menahem-Nahom from Tver. In 1898, the population of Chornobyl was 10 000, of which 7 200 were Jews.
In the 70-80s of the 20th century there were the food industry, the metallurgical industry, the repair and operation base of the Dnipro River Shipping Company, the workshop of artistic products, medical and vocational schools.
The Chernobyl catastrophe caused large human casualties, Chernobyl has become a symbol of atomic danger on a global scale.The population of the city of Chernobyl (14 thousand) were largely evacuated. However, in the city and in 2016 continues to live a small population - those who refused to leave their hometown.